About

Everyone’s Invited!

Further-

Every Wednesday Night From 7-8:30

At High Mill Church, for some awesome worship, teaching, and hanging out!

------------------------------

Further In- Every Other Sunday Night at the Dunnivan’s. 6pm, for great food, , amazing small groups, and lots of fun!

Slideshows

Coming Soon!!!!


Lock In

May 6th

Shapes and Molds

Monday, August 9, 2010


Every summer we go on vacation to Sunset Beach North Carolina, and when we are there I’m a beach junkie. That’s all I want to do is be on the beach. I want it to be ninety degrees, I want the water to feel like God himself drew me a bubble bath. I want to ride enormous waves that flip and crumble my body beneath their awesome power. I want to lie in the sand, I want to read pirate stories, and play bocce ball, and dig holes until I strike water, but most of all I want to build large intricate one of a kind sand castles that I can be proud of. You see many years ago when I first started going to Sunset Beach I wanted to build sand castles like when I was a kid, but I didn’t know how to build sand castles, so I went out and bought some molds. You know the orange and blue plastic shapes that you pack sand in and then try really hard to carefully remove the sand without breaking the shape you were trying to create, only you usually fail, and it never looks the way you’d hoped. So I bought a bunch of them; long skinny ones that I suppose are the walls; and then big square ones and small square ones; and large round ones and so on. And I tried for a long time to get the sand to take the shape of the molds, but it really isn’t that easy, I would always lose a corner or the door would get smudged off, and then finally I made a whole bunch of little castle out of these molds and stepped back and looked over my work and thought, man that looks awful, it looked like a five year old made it. I felt like I had just completed a page in a coloring book. Which when your little you can take some pride in that, but as you get older and learn to draw, you don’t feel as good about coloring in someone else’s picture, not as good as drawing your own anyway. And that’s how I felt here; I wanted to make something that came from my head; that was fashioned by my hands; that didn’t look like someone’s castle. And so I started reading about sandcastle making, and I learned about how to carve them, and what tools work best, and I started making my own castles and bridges, and drip castle mountains made from drizzled wet sand. And in the end I always love what I make even if other people don’t because I made it. I took sand and gave it shape, not someone else’s premade prepackaged cookie cutter shape, but the shape I envisioned. It becomes my castle not someone else’s. To be honest with you since then I haven’t been a big fan of molds. I don’t use them for anything anymore, not for my sand, or my play dough (which I do still play with) and especially not for my relationship with God.
When I first became a Christian lots of people handed me molds. They meant well for sure, but it was really confusing for me. Some people would say, “Here’s how I get closer to God, I wake up early and spend fifteen minutes in prayer. First I thank him then I ask for forgiveness, then I thank him for forgiving me, then I tell him all the things I need, then I read one proverb and one psalm, and one verse from the New Testament. And then I’m ready to start my day. You should try it!” It was like they just handed me some plastic mold and said here’s a good shape just pack your prayers in here, or here try this coloring book. It’s easy! I would try to pray and read and spend time with Jesus the way they told me to, but there wasn’t any life in it. I felt like I was just following some recipe, or like I was trying to be someone else. But that is how I was taught so I tried to fit that mold for long time. But then I met this guy named Lance, who didn’t ever have quiet times, and by that I mean he never set aside fifteen minutes or half an hour each day to read his bible and pray. He talked to God all day long. One day Lance told me that he couldn’t stand quiet times, and that they weren’t even biblical. He said, “The bible tells us to pray on all occasions, with all kinds of prayers, and what most people do is they go into there little prayer closet and shut the door and it’s like they punch in and punch out like God is there job. They say, ’Well I’m on the clock now so I guess I’m going to talk to Jesus and then, oh has it been 30 minutes already, well God see ya tomorrow.’” Lance made such a great argument that I stopped having quiet times, and I tried using his mold. But I wasn’t nearly as focused as Lance, I kept forgetting to talk to God all day long, I would get busy and distracted, and in the end I basically stopped praying altogether. Then I read a book that talked about journaling and the importance of writing out our prayers like David did. They wanted me to write a prayer to God and then write his response, and so I could keep this conversation going with God that was all written down. I tried using that mold for a little while. But writing is hard work, my hand muscles were too weak and they would cramp up every few sentences, and so I stopped journaling after just a few attempts. I can remember feeling lost for a while. I wanted to be close with God, I wanted to really know Him, but I didn’t know how to do that for myself. I would hear about a friend who wakes up at the crack of dawn and prays for 3 hours and another friend who goes off in the woods and seeks God all afternoon, and I’d instantly feel guilty and jealous, and like a spiritual loser. Finally I realized just like I did at the beach, that what works for someone else might not work for me. Honestly molds aren’t bad when you first start, when you’re learning to draw, or making castles out of sand, or when you’re first learning how to pray. But if you want to go deeper, you have to move beyond them. You have to let your relationship with God take its own shape. You have to learn how to connect with him in the ways that work for you, not in the ways that work for everyone else.
Some people best connect with God out in nature. They like to hike or fish or sit on a hillside and talk with God. Other people don’t like to be outside but they connect with God mostly through learning, through reading books and taking classes. Other people connect best with God through their five senses. They need to light candles and put on soft music, and read and journal. Others people’s hands cramp up like mine, and so they don’t like to journal, but they feel the closest with God when they are serving others, or when they are a part some great cause. Some people grow closer to God when they are growing along side of others. They thrive in small groups and bible studies, while some other people grow closer to God when they are alone in silence, and meditation. My point is we are all different and we need to discover how we grow, how we connect with God, and what makes us come fully alive. We need to move beyond the shapes and molds, and into a real, authentic, freedom filled relationship with God.

25 comments:

  1. Celine said...

    Bravo for creating this blog allows me to learn many useful things. I am in a structure opening in this direction and I confess to be satisfied and very happy to learn from this blog, thank you very hard to share this beautiful ...

    referencement site web maroc

  2. rosi said...

    Really nice site and it is more complete and simple research. I thank you very much for the relaxation .

    Tirage de tarot gratuit

  3. vrai said...

    Thanks for share this information with us, I always come across this amazing post.
    horoscope

  4. Lovely said...

    Thank you very much for sharing interesting blog and all articles are amazing, it's really helpful to always love to read your message and we hope next article to come and after it are positive.

    yeux chien

  5. prettycat said...

    This is the most spectacular post ever.Thanks for all what you do.
    voyance mail gratuite

  6. Unknown said...

    I must say that your blog is a great space for sharing pur posts.
    voyance gratuite par mail

  7. rosi said...

    Thank you first for this great blog. I come every day including week end! Good luck.

    voyance gratuitement
    distribution prospectus paris

  8. Sovania said...

    Bless you for taking a few minutes to publish this. I understand where you are coming from on this article however , I do believe that there are more desirable solutions.
    Voyance mail gratuit , voyance gratuite

  9. Sovania said...

    Thank you for the good times on your blog. I often post to watch ( again and again ) these wonderful items you shared . Very interesting. Good luck to you !

    voyance gratuite par mail

  10. Anonymous said...

    These kind of post are always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content so I happy to find many good point here in the post
    voyance gratuite par email

  11. Soso said...

    This blog has a lot of friendliness and a warm welcome
    Thank you a lot
    telephone gay

  12. Anonymous said...

    I also benefit from learning the assessments, but learn that alot of people ought to stay on essay to try and add worth in the direction of the authentic weblog release.
    voyance gratuite serieuse

  13. voyance said...

    Hey, great blog, but I don’t understand how to add your site in my rss reader. Can you Help me please?
    telephone gay

  14. Unknown said...

    I’ll immediately grab your rss feed as I can not find your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly let me know in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.
    voyance gratuite en ligne

  15. rosi said...

    This blog is so nice to me. I will continue to come here again and again
    Good luck


    voyance en ligne gratuite

  16. Unknown said...

    Thank you for this clear analysis, rigorous and relevant.
    voyance en ligne

  17. Anonymous said...

    This blog is so nice to me. I will continue to come here again and again
    Good luck


    voyance gratuite immediate

  18. Unknown said...

    That is quite surprising... I have never heard of that before reading your post!
    It makes me quite puzzled and angry too!
    voyance en ligne gratuite

  19. hgjtohn said...

    Wonderful information. Good to know this valuable article.
    voyance par mail en ligne

  20. Unknown said...

    Merci pour cet article qui ajoute un + dans ce qu’on connaît déjà. Je te suis depuis quelques mois, et je tiens à te remercier pour tes conseils qui aident les jeunes bloggueurs aujourd’hui à mieux avancer dans leur activité.
    voyance gratuite

  21. Unknown said...

    Bravo tout simplement. Et encore merci infiniment.


    voyance par mail gratuit

  22. rosy123 said...


    Un petit pour vous dire que votre blog est super!

    avenir gratuit par mail

  23. rosy123 said...


    Votre blog est simplement génial. J'y ai découvert de superbes images, signatures, citations. Je ne ma lasse pas de le regarder
    discount voyance

  24. Julia said...

    Really nice this site and in addition it is complete and simple to search. I thank you very much for these moments of relaxation.

    Voyance par mail gratuite immediate

  25. Julia said...

    My warm congratulations on your site! It helped and pleased me a lot, especially since all your shares are interesting. Long life to your site. Above all, never be discouraged; your blog is really on top!

    Voyance en ligne gratuite et sérieuse

Post a Comment